Monday 7 February 2011

Just because

I am a little odd and so, I am going to write about Glee.

I love it, it's wonderful, it is a show about joy, and we all need bucket loads of that, and a fair amount of cheesy music.

The episode I've just watched is 'Grilled Cheesus', which I'm not going to lie, I looked at and cringed inside. The way the media presents Christianity is never good. I can't think of anything remotely positive that ever comes forth, except in Narnia or Lord of the Rings. All things considered, that's really not a good statistic.

I'm pretty used to hearing things that make me recoil because of the way they present things. Watching terrible shows that capture the very worst of Christianity, or clips of people behaving terribly are not something I enjoy watching. No one seems to get what it's really about, and in some ways, I can't blame anyone. We're all ignorant of what we don't understand, and often something slightly more radical scares us into making jokes.

So, with Glee half way through and the usual comments about homophobia and women hating, I was pretty expectant of the typical show where Christians get a bad name.

Now, I can't say it was swung totally the other way, but there were a few redeeming things worth noting.
I loved that the friends prayed and did things despite not being asked. One good thing about prayer is that it's just you chatting to God - no one can tell you not to do that, and actually get you to stop successfully.

Secondly, Mercedes insistence that Kurt came to church. She showed Mercy that we should all be willing to extend, even if those around us don't agree.

Thirdly, the recognition that we all need something to trust in, and in fact, we're all looking for something to hope in. I know that the only true hope is in Jesus because he doesn't change like the things of the world that fade or disappoint, but not many things pick up on the universality of need and a desire to be fulfilled.

I'm not for religion, or routine, or 'have-to' rules. I am however about personal relationship with God. I am about a life transformed by becoming a Christian. I am about brokenness and confusion finding healing in Jesus. Why? I've known it myself, and when something amazing happens you want to tell everyone, and not just those that you love, although especially them.
I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not saying it's simple and I'm not saying I don't have questions. BUT I have seen the power of God in my life, and I know it's not about religion, routine, 'have-to' rules, or even traditions. Forget all of that. Jesus didn't come to create rules or repetitive things that we have to do.

To know Jesus is an adventure.

I get a little excited when anything might provoke thought, and even more excited when a secular TV program that has no real belief, manages to do that.

So, just so you know, I'm praying for you.
Always.
Because I have what you need, and I totally wanna share.
Love x

No comments:

Post a Comment