Monday 1 April 2013

Mercy all, Immense and Free

Since becoming a Christian about six years ago, Easter has taken a bit of a different theme for me. It's always been a fairly big family day; a day for feasting and catching up with everyone, and of course for eating a tremendous amount of chocolate. 

But, when you get to know Jesus, the significance of Easter changes dramatically. I'd say Easter is pretty much the foundation of my life. Because my life and hope is entirely based on the fact that Jesus is ALIVE. And well, that's what Easter Sunday is all about - that this man who died, crucified on a tree, came back to life, destroying death, conquering sin and giving me life. It's incredible news, and though I get to celebrate it every day of the year, Easter Sunday is always something special.

Yesterday I was back at my home church, which is always a lovely feeling. I worked there for a year, and was fairly involved before I moved to London, so there's a large group of friends that I love to visit. On arriving at the door I was accosted by two of my favourite people, charging out of nowhere to leap on me. Easter, as I said is a time for joy and celebration, and perhaps our greater awareness of what we're singing adds a new dimension to our times of worship. These two verses of an old hymn blew me away yesterday.

He left His Father’s throne above
So free, so infinite His grace—
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam’s helpless race:
’Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For O my God, it found out me!
’Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For O my God, it found out me!

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

After church, I headed over to my Great Aunt's house, where there was a huge roast cooking. Lamb, potatoes, the whole shebang. We settled down to the feast, which was over far sooner than I would have liked! Afterwards, we went for a walk along the beach, intending to help digest the copious amounts of crumble we had eaten. 



It was absolutely freezing as we trekked along the promenade, and the wind whistled in my ears until it felt like I had none. Far to the west, the sunlight was seen through the storm clouds and as the sun set, it was absolutely stunning. 

Eventually we headed home to watch Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and some other terrible film that my mum had picked up cheap on DVD that I recommend no one ever watches. 
Sadly today is grotty and grey so I'm hibernating at home with that copy of The Great Gatsby, which I have very nearly finished. 

xo



No comments:

Post a Comment