Sunday 1 May 2011

Evangelism Explosion

Just to give you a little taster of what I got up to today....

Alarm pierces my ear drums at a rather horrible 6.30am. Needless to say, I ignore it for as long as possible before begrudgingly making my way to the shower and getting ready for the day ahead.

With a handful of others from church, and the benefits of a kind and generous driver, I headed to Southampton for a bit of a training day. Arriving in perfect time to grab a nice cup of earl grey to wake me up, we began the day in Central Hall, the building of one of the Soton churches where our conference was being hosted.

The morning was spent looking at the 'Evangelism' - what it is, why it's important and then at the whole area of healing. With a short break for lunch, we headed back to the centre for the adventurous afternoon.

A while ago I wrote about Treasure Hunting, which is something Christians use to go out onto the streets, meet people and share the Gospel. By asking God for 'clues' we are then able to attempt to find 'treasure' who are people that God wants to meet with.

Clues come under the headings of
Location
Name
Appearance
Ailment
Unusual

and working with these, each participant creates a 'treasure map'... and this is what occupied my afternoon hours.

Over the course of the afternoon, I spoke to loads of people out and about and handed out some flyers.

There was one exciting moment where two girls that we approached matched the clue 'Dancing (Samba)' as well as having the matching 'bow in hair' for appearance. We were able to chat to them, pray for them and hopefully bless them! Always encouraging with something like that.

The day was full of fantastic stories, and with Jesus healing lots of people, there were also people inevitably becoming Christians! WOOP! Six people in fact. SERIOUS WOOP!

Many people were moved by what were doing, there were of course many who thought we were very odd, and plenty of people who were too busy to stop and chat, but it was a great experience and something I'd love to see more of at home. Jesus is alive, He speaks, and He wants to meet with people, and not just 'special' people, but you and I...that's exciting. And hey, I'd rather look stupid for God, than be stupid and not tell someone about the epic truths of the Gospel.

Much love from a tired by happy person.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment