Thursday 28 March 2013

End of Term

This week has been for all intents and purposes, the final week of my second year of Uni. There's been the usual rush of deadlines, but in some strange freak occurrence, I was finished a week in advance, and aside from proof reading, I am ready and waiting to submit my 7,000 words...Hurrah!

So instead of attempting to scribble words all week, I've been trying to catch up with people and get planning for the month of deadlines that follow the Easter holidays. Oh the joys. I've made the walk to and from campus  on average twice a day, and then tried to fit in coffee dates with people. I make it sound strenuous, but really it's been a week of talking.

Today I had a day of enjoying the delights of East London. I was in Uni early, and then made my way down the road and round the corner to a new cafe. It's called Paper and Cup, and is the second branch of a great social enterprise. They dropped a flyer in our door a couple of months ago, and as it offered free coffee I've been meaning to go for weeks. Today, I finally got around to it.


There's a few social enterprise coffee shops around, and as they combine some of the things I love the most: coffee and social action, I am a big fan. Yet often there is a slightly sad compromise you have to make; not great quality coffee, or slightly tired looking décor. Obviously not huge things in the grand scheme of life. By any stretch. But...it's nice to see Paper and Cup doing well. Both with coffee, with space, and with their general vision and ethos. 

Guilt free caffeine fix, HELLO.

I sat down for a bit of chill time with a favourite book (I've read it at least four times before) and my free coffee. And then I decided not to leave. So I spent the afternoon there, setting up camp with one of their sandwiches and a flapjack. Very good decision, and their prices were good too! Always a bonus!


So I can completely recommend that you take a visit. I can see I will be setting up camp there in a few weeks when I have essays to write. And I'm kind of okay with that. 

One of the other delights about being in East London is the fact that my house/life is based on a road that at one end points East, with the sunrise, and the other heads West, across the City, with the sunset. Tonight the sky was looking particularly impressive, and right as I was walking home via some old east end buildings. I love this part of London. 


Tonight I've got my bake on and am making a three tiered cake for my housemate who just got offered lots of exciting positions. 

Time to celebrate!!



No comments:

Post a Comment