Sunday 24 March 2013

Statues Come to Life

I think that ideas such as this, have become foundations for my life. 


When people ask me why I like studying literature, my response is something along the lines of.... 'because it can change things', which often gets confused looks. 

You thought literature was just for libraries or beach holidays? Wrong. It's for the public square. And I find that idea exciting. Recently I was at a lecture with Razia Iqbal, a BBC correspondent that spends lots of her time listening to people's stories and commenting on culture and the arts. Needless to say, I was somewhat enthralled.
Anyway, she was speaking at an inter-faith lecture, and mentioned that the biggest 'f' that had changed her life was fiction. She went on to elaborate, sharing how living in a closed community as she grew up, her escape and learning come for books. She also spoke about the power of storytelling, and the ways that reading of other lives, cultures, beliefs, or even an author that just describes things in a different way to you, can open your eyes. 

I'd take that a little further and suggest that when you read of things that hit you somewhere between the ribs, it can cause you to want to act, to change, to alter the systems and structures that perpetuate the chaos and disaster that you've just read of. 

I've been thinking lots about the things I want to do with the short, short life I have; the kind of things I'd like to accomplish. I'd like my life to count, that I wouldn't just be another anonymous passing person that exists, works, raises a family and dies. To me, that might be normal, but normal is boring. If I've got another 50-60 years to go, that's a whole lot of time to do some good things. 

Today at church we were reminded of something C.S. Lewis says in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

'The snow queen has lost her power. The snow is melting, summer is on its way & those who have been turned into lifeless statues are having new life breathed onto them again.'

I am rather overwhelmed that through Jesus I don't need to be a lifeless statue. When someone dies, and comes back to life, that you might know that death has no power any longer, and can live life in it's fullness through Him, well that leaves a rather exciting future ahead. 

Bring it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment