Friday 25 November 2011

Thanksgiving

Living in close proximity to Americans meant that Thanksgiving was kind of a cert for this year. We've been discussing it for a while, but the day has finally arrived. And somewhat finished actually, I notice as I glance at the clock.

Anyway, work required my energy, so I was intending to get lots done today before dinner.
Didn't go so well.

A need for milk for tea for essay writing required a trip to the shop. And then it was the farmer's market. And then a friend popped over to enjoy the coffee and cake we'd bought.

A couple of hours later and Ryan (American) arrives back, announcing he's off to Saisburys and as a consequence of NO one nearby selling pumpkins for centre pieces, we decided to join. A little walk down to Whitechapel market and it feels like we're in a foreign country as we wander around the market.

Safe to say I don't have a clue what half the veg is that those market stalls sell. We found some crazy pumpkins though, green and stripy, and tiny. A mad run around Saisburys for gravy and rolls and table cloths and tea lights before the military operation that is cooking for Thanksgiving began. 


I think we totted up something like 14 kilos of food was cooked altogether. For 9 people. We decorated the table, decorated ourselves with nice clothes, and the americans from downstairs joined us for some GOOD food.


Civilised and mature. It was very strange. But definitely the best first Thanksgiving I've ever had.

Pudding involved apple pie. One of which fell out of the oven. The other of which later became a weapon as Ellie and I were paid £10 each to pie one another in the face. Maturity may have gone out of the window, but the whole situation was pee-yourself funny.


I've done no work, am incredibly full and am fairly sure my hands still smell of apple pie despite the shower.

However, I could not be more pleased that I get to live with such people.

I love London life.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment