Monday 12 March 2012

Derrida, Creepham and Cherry Blossom


It's late Sunday night and therefore perfect time to blog away the general things I've done this weekend.

First though, I was rather surprised by some of the reading I've been given for lectures tomorrow. I'm used to some weird stuff, it is English Literature after all, but this just leapt out at me. Now I don't know the rest of the paper, but the extract we've been given from Derrida's Cosmopolitanism and Forgiveness is just jaw-droppingly good.


"Forgiveness forgives only the unforgivable"

I'm often struck by the enigma that is forgiveness. As a Christian it's pretty core to who I am and all that I believe, and whilst I've grasped the concept, so often the depth of it eludes me. Derrida's words hit home though. When Christians talk about being forgiven by Jesus, it's not to say that all of our rubbish, our sin, has been swept under the rug because He's a pretty nice guy. Quite the opposite. In fact, Jesus has chosen to forgive the unforgivable. That which is repulsive, disgusting, vile, and offensive has been dealt with on the cross and I don't face judgement for any of it. Forgiveness changes everything. And, when it comes to me forgiving others, it's not brushing things under the carpet either, it's knowing that they've done the unforgivable. That it is awful or cruel. But also that it is possible to choose to forgive. Wow. 

So, that little nugget of gold was a nice surprise in otherwise dull Uni work. Still, it's been a great weekend. Nellie, my American friend is here, so we had a great time catching up and shopping yesterday. I managed to get to this incredible jumble sale down Mile End Road yesterday, where I picked up a huge pile of vintage clothes.

I must confess I have that fear that I'm never going to wear it, but it only cost me £10 for 8 or 9 things so it's not the end of the world. A belt and some confidence might make them into miraculously cool outfits. Well, one can hope. 

Last night we went out for drinks and dancing in Clapham, which is a fair trek from our neck of the woods. It was a weird group of people but as we eventually found an O'Neill's with a live band playing, we managed to have a great night moving and shaking to some 90s classics. Quite ridiculous but very fun. There were creepy guys in abundance however, which led to some great photos such as this one, and renaming Clapham, Creepham. Excellent. 


Today I went to church and had dinner with loads of friends after which was great. A friend that works in Whittards bought me TEA which was very exciting. It's cherry blossom yummy stuff and smells like cherry sweets. I've yet to make any so that's a job for tomorrow.

On that note it's time for me to sleep. We're out in Shoreditch tomorrow evening and so it's about time I got a bit of rest.

So, in honour of the american with the crazy drawl, g'night y'aaaaall!

Love and such xo

1 comment:

  1. I love the content of your blogs which leads to an amazing summary in the 'Labels', this weeks being "Clapham, Derrida, Forgiveness, Tea". Top notch. Love the forgiveness quote, or more accurately the forgiveness definition.

    ReplyDelete