Thursday 15 March 2012

Rules

The past few days a friend's been staying, which, amongst lectures, Uni stuff and the usual habits of my week, has led to a fairly busy couple of days. We've been out most nights and with someone crashing in your flat there's not much time to be alone, or to chill.

Saying that, it was totally worth it. We had a fantastic last day together yesterday, going to Rules Restaurant and then shopping in Covent Garden. It was one of those days that you'll be telling stories about for years to come. Probably because I don't think I could ever afford to eat in that place again. It was incredible. I found myself at midday drinking a cocktail made of green tea liquor, and eating a starter of crab, followed by the best beef I have ever had the pleasure to look at let alone put in my mouth. 

The restaurant had that old school English charm. I'm talking red velvet chairs, dark wood, whisky cabinets and a fireplace. There were antlers on the walls and hundreds of paintings and satirical cartoons filling any available space. I felt I needed to be in possession of a top hat, or at least a pair of shoes that didn't come from Primark.
Amongst a restaurant packed with rich businessman, it was hard not to feel like an outsider but the whole thing was such a treat, with the most incredible food and service. It was fun to pretend to be sophisticated. The fact we took photos of our cocktails though somewhat proved we weren't really meant for the world of high-class dining.
 

Following dinner we wandered about Covent Garden market, poking in the shops, enjoying the beauties of some classical music and soaking up the sunshine. We discovered a few fantastic little shops full of decorative hearts and roses, bird cages and cupcake tins...all in all very...me? I could've happily spent more time wandering about but a trip to Sainsburys to prepare for the Alpha course I'm running was in order.

After my monstrous lunch I wasn't so in need of dinner but the rest of the Alpha course guests needed to be fed and watered. The benefit of this was visiting Whitechapel market and picking up some tulips for a £1! I've put them in a mug that we collected from a bar on Monday night. I think they look pretty cool.

Anyway, enough rambling. I've had just four hours sleep and need to read The Tempest today. I've got cravings for Trafalgar Square so I'm thinking I'm going to take my Shakespeare beast of a book and hit Central London.

Happy Sunshiney Day Amigos!

xxxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment