Thursday 20 October 2011

Bon Iver

I've just returned from Manchester, where I spent about 24 hours visiting a couple of friends and seeing Bon Iver. 

After spending a month or so in one place, it was nice to jump on a train again and be on the move, especially as last year I was on the move all the time. It was even nicer to be leapt upon by Bridgette as I got off the train at Manchester Piccadilly and then to find Sam there to greet both of us at the end of the platform. After hugs and such (which there aren't enough of at uni!) we trundled off to get coffee in this beautiful little place, and then headed back to Sam's freezing house. 

The north is cold. Really cold.


Anyway, after a dinner where we had to hack frozen chicken from the bone, we put on dresses (or at least Bridgette and I did) and went out to brave the weather. I won't lie, it was totally worth it. That and the extra train fare I had to pay because I missed my train like the moron I am.

Bon Iver is just perfect in every way. It made me do lots of thinking, wish I could sing or play an instrument and then struck me dumb by the beauty of every.single.song.



Imagine the magic of a fairytale but mixed with the heavenliness of heaven... and then add yourself into a room where you're struck by lights that look like leaves, and the fact that it was three and a half years ago that you first heard this music and you're with the same people, and that God has been amazingly good, and life is strange but wonderful.

I loved it. 


And may have left in a slight daze and continued to enthuse about the gig's wonderfulness ever since. 

Now back in London, having done very little reading or work over the past two days, feeling guilty but also a little insane. I cant quite explain it but I think I need to go for a run or something in the rain. Bit mental.

I'm going to go and read some Romeo and Juliet for my lecture tomorrow.
Probably won't help with mentalness right now.

Oh dear.

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment