Saturday 5 May 2012

Foodie Friday

Over the past few months of living in London I've been searching for good coffee shops and cute cafes...the kind of thing you can only really hope to find in the city. If you've not gathered already, I love London, I mean really love it. The buildings, and the busyness, the people with their stern expressions, the tourists with their bandanas (a story for another time) and the amazing events and things that I just get to stumble upon. It's quite exciting, and all in all makes a nice change from my beautiful sleepy seaside home.

A couple of months ago I got taken to a great cafe, not too far from where I live. It's built upon three levels and serves coffee in glasses. It's an absolute winner. I've been back a couple of times since, and as a friend was passing through London on the way to the south, we stopped in this afternoon for a spot of lunch. I always think it's a good sign when the queue spirals out of the shop and half way down the street. No joke, by 1pm today we joined a trail of workers, about 20 people long. 

Fortunately for us most of them were using the Fleet River Bakery as a pit stop, and not as somewhere to sit and munch and chat, which left me and Sam (said friend) a handy table at the back of the cafe for a good catch up. Simple pesto pasta, and a chocolate brownie to die for, as well as some yummy coffee, and it was a fantastic afternoon. I'm a big fan of this place and only wish it wasn't so well-known! I need a similar hideaway for reading and studying that the crowds of commuters are yet to discover!

Anyhow, in my excitement over cafes and lunches, I forgot to mention that I went to be part of the audience for 8 out of 10 cats yesterday! A friend was allocated a bunch of tickets so four of us went and had an epic evening of comedy and general hilarity. Fortunate enough to see Stephen Mangan, who plays Guy Secretan in Green Wing, as well as the usuals - Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock and Jon Richardson and a few others. We were sat second row from the front, a few seats in, and literally had the best view you could've imagined. I've not yet watched the episode that was aired so I'm unsure if you can see the back of my head (right hand side, blue dress if so!) We had a great night and I realised how much I need to make use of free BBC things - it's genuinely the best night of free entertainment!

AND then this evening, as it was a friends' birthday, we went out for cocktails. Now, this seems to be becoming a bit of a regular habit of mine, this cocktail malarky, but what can you do when they're 2for1 because it's happy hour and the bartender is called Toby. In fact, tonight we met a number of bartenders; Sammy, Eric and Joe (although Toby was my favourite) and all of them shook our hands, asked us who we were and proceeded to allow us to help them make our delicious alcoholic beverages. Quite, quite delightful. There was also a lot of dancing and photos involved. Ohhh the joys of Shoreditch! Although, this place was a chain that I've definitely heard good things about so perhaps it's time to check out the other bars dotted over London. Now that doesn't sound like too much of a chore to me...

So, with so much excitement it's time for bed. Sadly for me Saturday isn't set to be too thrilling, I need to plow on with the uni deadlines and get some things sorted. Perhaps if I'm super productive I'll take the evening off.

Until my life gets a bit more exciting, I encourage you to find some quirky coffee spots, comedy and cocktail bars to keep you entertained. I can assure you that's it's the best way to spend a Friday!!!!

Love and hugs xoxoxo


PS - May the Fourth be with you. xxx

1 comment:

  1. "a great cafe, not too far from wear I live. "


    .......wear?

    ReplyDelete