Wednesday 2 May 2012

Word Tackling is an Elusive Task


I am currently in the process of tackling two 3,000 word essays. It's not a fun process. Essentially, we decided this morning that uni work destroys any motivation you have for waking up, or for attempting to look nice. Plucking eyebrows, changing your clothes, the usual habits of a sociable creature, are forgotten in the desperation to just. keep. writing. 

As a result of said writing, I have been increasingly interested in all of the blogs, news articles, emails and and novels that I can read or submerge myself in, instead of occupying myself with a debate between Freud and Roland Barthes. 

One of my favourite ways to procrastinate is to create the best, and longest, playlist to accompany the 'hard work'. Yesterday I went through iTunes and enjoyed a lot of Bob Dylan, and a lot of Blue Roses. As you can guess, I got a bit stuck on the letter 'B'. Still, it was a good day.

This morning I set up a list of Phil Wickham songs, the kind I know very well so just form generic background noise whilst I write. One of the additional benefits is that Mr Wickham writes Christian stuff so his lyrics genuinely are quite an encouragement. So, whilst proof reading my essay, and attempting to delete at least 100 absolutely essential words, I caught a few lyrics of the song I was listening to. It was a bit of a surprise as I began to use my ears again. An amazing reminder that even when I'm babbling about the position of authors and readers, and creativity, there is a little more going on in life than just my degree. It somehow makes it all worthwhile, and a lot less stressful.

So, here we are...


Oh the glorious day when we arrive
And Heaven's gates are opened wide
All our fear and pain will fade away
When we see You
Face to face

Our Great and Awesome King
You will reign in brilliant light
Forever glorified
In Your city
And we Your daughters and Your sons
Will see the kingdom come
In Your city

Love will rain and joy will have no end
When the saints go marching in
God we pray that You come soon
'Cause we were made
To be with You

When we've been there for ten thousand years
Our song will be the same
Praise to the One who has brought us here
Jesus is His name
Jesus is His name

You will reign in brilliant light
Forever glorified
In Your city
We Your daughters and Your sons
Will see the kingdom come
In Your city, My city
This is Your city
My city

No comments:

Post a Comment