Monday 20 December 2010

Joy Unspeakable Joy



Today was the Sunday...and Sunday means Church, which, oddly for some, I actually LOVE! Church is not boring, or full of things that you have to repeat or anything, and today was totally one of those days.

With Christmas around the corner, today was a little festive, but we're not really into the meaningless traditions, so we tend to shake things up a bit, which is always exciting. This morning was exactly what I needed after a bit of a rubbish week being ill, getting a bit frustrated at some things and generally feeling kinda disjointed! So what did we do? We daaaaanced!

And I love to dance. I love music, I love God, and I have issues keeping still when I hear music generally so when we start singing songs that have lyrics like

"Because of Your love

There's dancing in my heart
Because of grace I am free
Because of Your faithfulness
There's a song that must be sung
I will sing, I will sing because of You"

I slightly have to move. When you have several hundred other people celebrating with you too...and half an hour of it, not only does it exercise you soul but your body too. Double points to God for inventing that one! 

This afternoon I cooked a roast. And I love to cook, a little like I love to dance, and I love to sing. I cooked for 8 with my friend Charlotte, so it wasn't difficult and it was super fun. It was very entertaining watching some of the boys hopelessly attempt to cut onions/peel potatoes or sort out parsnips...I giggled to myself, mean as I am. 

I'm no whizz in the kitchen, but I was pretty impressed with my roast chicken, potatoes, carrots and parsnips with sage and onion stuffing, pigs in blankets, peas, beans and onion gravy...

OM NOM NOM! I also love food.

Tonight we had a traditional carol service at church, and I know I said we don't tend to do traditional too well, so things were shaken up a bit in the preach with Guy speaking to 'Richard Dawkins', 'Nigella Lawson' and then a Mikey Lee...a real guy whose life has been taken from a place of no hope and into a place of joy, all by Jesus. It was pretty cool I like to think. 

Interesting that Jesus alone seems to have the answer to not just Christmas but to suffering too. Forget trying to find deep within your evolved self, the strength to get through misery, and as yummy as food is, you're not guna find the answer to suffering in a triple basted, bacon covered, slow roasted, giant turkey (sorry Nigella). So, Jesus anyone?

 From a miry pit to a steadfast rock.
 WOOP I think is probably appropriate, if not entirely reverent...

With mulled wine, mince pies and giant things of fire outside after, all surrounded by snow covered trees, and ground, it was amazingly festive and totally buzzing with so many guests! My lovely mum and sister came which was great, and they had a good time so I'm pleased about that. 

Students and Twenties headed to the pub after and after being bought a drink (double woop!) I got a chance to catch up with lots of people, some whom I haven't seen for 3 or 4 months, some whom I haven't seen in a few weeks but miss ridiculous amounts because of the normal amount of time we get to hang out. All in all, it was a pretty good day. 

So I am off to get some rest, fully recover from this dreaded lurgi I appear to still have not got rid of, and prepare myself for a super busy week. 

Night night chums, much love and joy. 
xxx


PS this is one of my favourite songs :) enjoy! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment