Thursday 16 December 2010

Love, amour, die Liebe, sayang, 喜爱, láska or even kärlek

Wikipedia describes love as 'an intense feeling of affection'

Dictionary.com describes love as 'a profoundly tender affection for another person'

eHow.com says 'love is a deep and complex emotion.'

I know that none of these come close to the reality. I may be 19, my life may not have spanned centuries, I may be sheltered in my southern coastal town. I may be inexperienced in 'falling in love'.

Still, love is not just an intense feeling. Love is not just affection. I am affectionate to my cats. Would I die for them? Probably not.
As a Christian, I can honestly say that I know love. 1 John 4v8 and 1 John 4v16 declare that 'God is love'. 
Christianity is not about morals. Nor is it about heaven or hell. It's not about someone who created the world and may or may not be important. 

The Gospel is LOVE. And to know God, is to know LOVE. 



Many people hear these verses at some point in their lives, whether at funerals, or weddings, or quoted in supposedly profound films


"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

I agree that 'love' is hard to describe. I think in this world, often true love, love that is of God, that is patient and kind, not self-seeking, and full of truth is even harder to feel. Not because it's not freely available, but perhaps, too many of us look in the wrong place.

If God is love, why look anywhere else for actual love. Genuine love. Not just tender affection, profound feeling, or lust or even care. 

My life is built on love. Not a wishy-washy, whimsical feeling that sometimes I feel. Yes, I take great joy in the love of friends and of family, but as much as I may adore them, as much as I may care for them, I know that true love is the love that God offers. He is unchanging, He is never shaken, and therefore there is no chance of me one day waking up and not being loved. 

Want to know how I know that? 1 John 3:16

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters."

I said Christianity wasn't about rules. It's about a living relationship with a living God - and that's Jesus. He laid down his life for me, and so I lay down my life as a response.

Don't waste your life on 'love' that is not real love. Pour it out to the one who IS love. Jesus. Christmas is about love, a love that caused God to become human, to live as a human and to die as a human.

Love is not just chemicals in the brain, it is not just lust, or a force that causes you to behave in a bizarre manner. Find that relationship with LOVE himself, and be at peace.

With as much love as I can offer (which in comparison, is a pretty frail amount)
I say goodnight
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment