Friday 6 April 2012

The Great Exchange

I have a feeling that this time last year I wrote a post marvelling at why Good Friday was ever called 'good'. For so long I could never understand why a man's death was a good thing, in fact, it seemed utterly barbaric.

But today, I get to celebrate the love of God that overcomes all things, and is lavished on my life with such generosity it has changed everything I am. 



‘The soldiers stripped Jesus and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him […] Above his head they placed the written charge against him: “This is Jesus, the King of the Jews” […] About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”) […] And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.’ (Matt 27:28-31, 37, 50)


Jesus' death is remarkable, his crucifixion overwhelming, because he never deserved to die. As a man he was sinless and had done no wrong, as God, he is holy, perfect and powerful. The Great Exchange; that on the cross he exchanged his sinlessness for my sin, his perfection for all of my imperfections and in doing so, made a way for me to know him, with all of my sin and rubbish dealt with. 


Someone pointed out these incredible truths to me:

  • Jesus was lead outside the city, so that we could be brought into the city of God.
  • Jesus was stripped naked, so that we could be clothed in righteousness.
  • Jesus' body was broken, so that we could be made whole.
  • Jesus was forsaken by God, so that we could be accepted.
  • Jesus was put to death, so that we could be made alive.
Good Friday is an incredible day. I look to the cross and see the love of God so perfectly displayed; a love that led him to His death, a love that welcomes me completely. Love that blows me away.

And what's even better is that Sunday is coming, for the Saviour didn't stay dead in the grave, but is raised to life, securing my hope in Him forever more. 

May you have an incredible few days lovely friends. I am off to marvel at this some more and enjoy dinner with friends this evening. What a weekend. I am just so, so blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment