Friday 27 April 2012

Napping Nightmare

For the first time in nearly three years I have become submerged in the trial that is the student revision, and exam period. A-Levels were quite a long time ago for me, yet I distinctly remember the sleepless nights and hibernation that occurred in an attempt to secure good grades. Fortunately it paid off, but y'know, they aren't quite so important any more, and instead I have a degree to contend with.

Now, I'm not trying to say that the first year of a degree is the end of the world, but, being the geek I am, I like to do well. It's come as a bit of a surprise therefore, that I once again find myself in that position where I am aware that I should be working ALL THE TIME. I'm not good at that. I like being social, I enjoy shopping, and coffee, and sight-seeing, and well it's my birthday soon too, and exams and essays are seriously hindering this.

Anyway, today I got up early and worked all morning, had a late lunch around 3pm and decided I wanted to read a book about dragons and elves rather than more literary theory on Roland Barthes. A worthy decision I'm sure you'll agree. So, equipped with tea and a good view of the City from my window, I opened my book. A few pages in I began to get drowsy, and not long after, I conceded that a nap was just going to happen, whether I wanted it to or not. 

Total mistake.

Awaking over an hour later, my hand imprinted on my face, a headache twisting my temples, and eyes blurred with confusion, my overwhelming thought was REGRET. This is not the first time such a napping nightmare has occurred, and I have reason to believe it won't be the last. Such is the life of a student.

So, after wasting a large amount of time, I am continuing to plan an essay...long into Friday evening. This most definitely hinders the desire to go and be sociable, or, make a nice dinner for that matter. And on that note, you have my advice: avoid napping at all costs. It's a temptation that totally ruins your day. 

Trust me, the desire to sleep is not equal to headache and blurry eyes. I just don't know how cats manage it!! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment